I’m sure there are a ton of really vital decisions you make on a daily basis, but none are quite as dire and important as choosing the best protein cookie for you… that’s why I’ve developed this guide to get you through this overwhelming life choice.
Let’s look at three popular brands of protein cookies available at Popeye’s Supplements (and a lot of supplement stores):
- Lenny & Larry’s
- Buff Bake
- Mama T’s
We’ll rank these three cookies on the following qualities:
- Taste, Texture & Size
Before we get started, let’s clear a few things up…I’ve chosen the basic chocolate chip version of each brand to compare so that we’re comparing similar products (there are many versions of each of these brands of cookies, which I might get into at some point, but for now, let’s focus on the chocolate chip cookies).
Also, my taste buds are pretty used to “healthy” protein treats, so someone new to these products might not have similar perceptions of how they taste – remember they’re HEALTHY cookies – not Chips Ahoy.
And, I’m not taking price into account in my reviews since they’re all very similar in price.
Lenny & Larry’s
- Taste, Texture and Size: the taste was allllright. I could definitely taste the vegan protein in it and the texture was a little too crumbly for my liking (in fact, it kind of fell apart when I opened the package). The size is good. Looks pretty big, so you feel like you’re getting a lot of cookie.
- Ingredients: the ingredients are pretty clean here – protein is plant-based for all my vegan friends. Despite not being able to pronounce a couple of the ingredients, they’re actually quite useful additions (like vitamin Bs and other nutrients). This cookie doesn’t need to be refrigerated though, which means it contains preservatives and processed ingredients.
- Macros: this is where they lose me…there are TWO servings in each cookie, which is not only misleading, but not worth the macros for how it tastes. So, despite being a big cookie, you have to cut it in half to get the suggested service size. There are also almost 50 grams of carbs…few too many for my liking. Here’s the macro breakdown PER COOKIE (not per serving, because who the hell be eating HALF a cookie?!):
- Taste, Texture and Size: taste is good. Texture was surprisingly chewy (which I like). It WAS SMALL…much smaller than the package made it seem.
- Ingredients: protein source is whey, but you can’t really taste it too much. Like Lenny & Larry’s, there’s a few random processed ingredients in there that no one can pronounce, which I don’t like. Also doesn’t need to be refrigerated, so can’t be THAT fresh, but overall, not TOO bad.
- Macros: same story with macros here as with L&L’s…it’s two servings per cookie…which I just don’t understand and makes me feel like it’s not worth it. Here’s the macro breakdown (again, PER cookie):
- Taste, Texture & Size: taste is awesome. It tastes and feels like you’re actually eating a chewy chocolate chip oatmeal cookie.
- Ingredients: there’s only eight ingredients in this cookie, all of which I can pronounce and would likely keep in my kitchen. They also have to be refrigerated, so that makes me feel good about eating them – they’re likely fresher and contain no preservatives.
- Macros: the serving on the package is for the WHOLE cookie, which is awesome. Here’s the macro breakdown per cookie:
These are all the qualities I look at when deciding what to eat/treat myself with. Overall, all of these cookies are pretty good sources of protein for a treat. They all have different qualities, depending on what you’re looking for and value in your nutrition. Obviously vegans will lean toward Lenny & Larry’s. For me, simple ingredients are important, so Mama T’s is my favorite. I also like a good balance between clean ingredients and good macros, and I personally think Mama T’s hits that perfect balance.
WINNER: MAMA T’S!
Let me know your thoughts though! Which one do you like best?